Saturday, April 30, 2011

Travelers on the freedom road

The movie of the day was The Vernon Johns Story featuring James Earl Jones. It seemed a good choice given that tomorrow will bring an antiracism training.

Naomi Rose is who told me about this movie. I remember her call. "The Vernon Johns Story is on," she said. "You need to watch it."

And I did. For I had never heard of Vernon Johns - one of the forerunners of the Civil Rights Movement.

A while back, I found a copy in a Half-Price Book store.

It is a painful film about an unjust time. Yet it is a powerful film about the call to challenge injustice and a reminder of and tribute to all those who have done so through the years. That includes Naomi, my mentor and friend. Since we live in days that still know injustice, morphed and reconfigured and newly sprung injustice but injustice all the same, it is an important film as well.

With thanks for Vernon, Naomi, and all who travel the freedom road and invite us to join them - see you along the Trail.

No comments:

Post a Comment