Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Not only Southern trees

As I type, I understand that the execution of Troy Anthony Davis is proceeding. If it is not, it will soon. He was convicted for the murder of Mark MacPhail.

Earlier today, Lawrence Russell Brewer was executed for the brutal murder of James Byrd, Jr. He remained unrepentant; some of James Byrd Jr.'s family has expressed forgiveness.

Human Rights Watch reports that half a world away, 17-year old Alireza Mollasoltani was publicly executed in Iran. He was convicted for the murder of Ruholla Dadashi.

My heart aches for the family and all who love Mark MacPhail.

My heart aches for the family and all who love James Byrd, Jr.

My heart aches for the family and all who love Ruhollah Dadashi.

My heart aches for those who made these decisions and for those who had to carry them out.

My heart aches for the family and all who love Troy Anthony Davis.

My heart aches for the family and all who love Lawrence Russell Brewer.

My heart aches for the family and all who love Alireza Mollasoltani.

My heart aches.

In the midst of the sorrow, I give thanks for the glimpses of grace shown by family members, friends, and advocates.

Democracy Now played a clip of Strange Fruit sung by Billie Holiday, written by Abel Meeropol. "Southern trees bear a strange fruit," it begins.

Not only Southern trees.

The struggle continues.

See you along the Trail.

No comments:

Post a Comment