Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The Fighter

I am not much for boxing.

I don't turn off boxing when it comes on during the Olympics; I don't pay close attention, either.

I am certain I have never watched a professional match from beginning to end. I am fairly certain I have not watched enough individual rounds combined to constitute a whole fight - unless that fight was a first-round knockout.

But on today's return plane from Geneva, I choose to watch The Fighter. I had heard much about the film. And what I heard was good. And I have always liked Christian Bale. So when it appeared as one of the choices, I decided to give it a go.

I am glad I did. It did not disappoint. It did not convert, I won't be buying the DVD (a similar experience took place years ago: I watched The Boxer because it featured Daniel-Day Lewis), but it definitely did not disappoint. And is worthy of the praise and nominations it received.

Boxing may be the presence, but the film is about family, loyalty, courage, and redemption. And you can't go too far wrong with those themes when you have a good story and strong cast. The Fighter does.

And it has Christian Bale. And Christian Bale can act. The others in the cast also perform quite well. Melissa Leo is amazing. Mark Wahlberg gets top billing and delivers.

But this is Bales' movie. And Christian Bale can act.

The boxing is a bit violent - the language a tad rough (but hey, Christian Bale's character was a crack addict) - but it is well worth a look.

See you along the Trail.

11 May 2011
Swiss International Air Lines 022

No comments:

Post a Comment